Source Paul Fromm
Const. Alex Thomas of the city police hate crimes unit says the victim received bite marks to his hand, and was stabbed in the shoulder with a piece of broken glass after a bottle was smashed over his head.
It was one of the most severe attacks Thomas has seen.
“It’s nothing that he could have changed. He couldn’t have said anything different, he was just being himself,” said Thomas, noting the man was there with two other friends, one of whom was also assaulted, but his injuries weren’t as severe. …
“It was a traumatic event for everybody in the sense they were also dumbfounded as to how did this guy bring this upon himself. He really didn’t.”
Charged in connection with the attack are Kyle McKee, 26, of Calgary, Bernard Miller, 20, and Philip Badrock, 44, of St. Albert. Both Miller and Badrock are charged with assault causing bodily harm.
Police said all three are confirmed to be involved with the white supremacist group Blood and Honour.” Of course, White supremacist is a slur and is not how Blood and Honour would describe itself.
Const. Alex Thomas, an East Indian on the hate squad told the CBC (April 17, 2012) “Police will recommend to the judge the assault be treated more severely, because the motivation was hate, said Thomas.’We believe it’s a hate crime and we will be providing evidence to support that,’ said Thomas.’These guys are cowards,’ he said. ‘These guys will attack a person two on one, three on one, four on one.”It’s basically because of their hate towards them. It’s nothing the victim has done.'”
Ironically, it was Mr. Badrock who was attacked by “three or four on one.”
In May, the Crown ignominiously withdrew all charges against supposed ringleader Kyle McKee. Mr. Badrock, originally charged with assault and assault with a deadly weapon, was offered a deal — plead to “causing a disturbance.” He refused. “We were adamant. He wouldn’t plead guilty toanything. He was the victim,” says Frances Badrock, his mother.
The Crown’s heavy breathing “hate” case was a botch from the start. The store’s own video clearly showed Mr. Badrock being assaulted by several East Indians. Witness statements were all over the map, one describing Mr. Badrock as looking like native criminal and another describing the decidedly White Mr. McKee as a Latino.. At the preliminary hearing, a girl testified that she had seen four or five men attacking Mr. Badrock.
One of the arresting officers said Mr. Badrock had been a British soldier and must have been trained in hand-to-hand combat. It’s a great scare story, which explodes on the hard rock of facts. Mr. Badrock, now 46, came to Canada when he was 11. “I don’t think the British Army was taking 11-year olds!” his mother says.
While Mr. Badrock is relieved by the outcome he is still $15,000 poorer because of legal fees occasioned by the hate squad and Crown’s rush to judgement, based on ideology rather than facts.
Of hate squad head Const. Alex Thomas, Mrs. Badrock says: “I want him gone. He was making up shit on national TV.” In the aftermath of the publicity storm, Mr. Badrock was assaulted and on several occasions insulted by strangers who had seen the publicity.
A complaint was filed by the Badrocks with the Edmonton Police Service in regards to the arrest.